Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Cholesterol Battle

Yesterday we got back our health assessment for our life insurance. I gleefully poked my head into our bedroom to make a comment how John's cholesterol was higher than mine. I think this was somewhat the conversation... me saying, "hey hun, it looks like you need to watch your cholesterol." John says, "I think it is you who needs to." Long pause and I study the separate letters and realizing the one stating the low stats on cholesterol was to Mr. Painter. What the heck!!!

John is very fit, I'll hand it to him but his diet... hello! It is not even as healthy as mine. Here is a sampling of my meal plan for the day, breakfast: low fat yogurt & banana & coffee, lunch: sandwich (light on mayo, probably a slice of cheese and rarely chips) soda or iced tea, dinner: some form of meat, pasta and veggie. Here is John's meal plan for the day, breakfast: coffee, snack: HOT DOG, lunch: tuna w/ a little bit of mustard (he's on this pure protein kick for lunch) and he would probably have water, gatorade or soda, afternoon snack: what ever is in the fridge or some CHIPS, dinner: the same thing I eat.

hmmmm I am stumped maybe I need more tuna and hot dogs to bring my cholesterol down :) or truly I probably need to get back on my morning workouts at the gym. Well, I guess the good news is that my cholesterol levels where still in the "normal" range but just by a smidgen and if I fall over dead tomorrow from my "higher-than-John's cholesterol" he will be able to pay off the house and have some more to squirrel away.

2 comments:

Stapletons said...

Maybe you should check for the types. If your total cholesterol is higher, because your HDL is higher than his, than you can flaunt that all over the place. The higher the better with HDL. It would just mean that you are super active. If LDL is higher, than you got nothin' on him. :)...then you can just talk about how it's not a competition. haha

sara2delta said...

also genes are a HUGE factor into cholesterol. my bro mario is a work out FREAK. he runs and runs and runs, and lifts too. he very carefully watches what he eats too. his cholesterol is through the roof; he's on medication for it! go figure. genetics can sure SUCK! most of mine do!