

John's favorite band of all time is Metallica. I heard that they were coming to Salt Lake on their tour just last Friday and thought it would be fun to surprise him with tickets. After finding a last minute babysitter (thanks so much Uncle Ben!), I decided to tell John- his eyes lit up and he was ready to rock!
Last night was the big event at Energy Solutions Arena. I must say there was some awesome people watching- where do these people come from?! Our seats were quite close to the stage and with the drummer in the center on a rotating stage, any seat in the house was able to get full view of the action. There was a lot of lighting changes on the 4 suspended metal coffins, pyrotechnics, smoke, head banging, and screaming. I mostly enjoyed the crowd- so here's the game... "Who is the Biggest Fan?"
1st person: The Non-Stop Mover
He was about early twenties, QuickSilver shirt, slightly balding up top, at the concert with 2 buddies- and I swear the kid did not stop moving: chest pumping forward, arms puffed out to his sides, head bopping to the beat, an occasional arm in the air and belting out every screaming lyric. The kid must have burned thousands of calories last night!
2nd person: Pops with Binoculars
Man in his late 50's, full back harness for his binoculars to hang from his neck, there with his 20 year old son- pops wanting to look cool in his son's eyes, thought this would be a bonding moment, and although his son was anti-binoculars, by the end of the show they were both spying with big eyes down on stage. Pops didn't have as much movement as "the non-stop mover" but still had the foot tap going on.
3rd person: Nerd with a Notepad
Late 30's, probably had long hair at one time but has now held onto the Michael J. Fox look- which is still outdated, wrist band on his right arm just in case he decides to rock out a little too hard, some how he snuck in a camera (mine got confiscated at the gate- I was a little upset about this!) and when each song came on, he would pull out his typed up list of Metallica songs, make a note and take a picture- WHAT! is he planning on making a documentary? There was very minimal movement and definitely no singing but the man was intent on capturing every event that occurred on stage. Was he alone? Nope- he had a wife who would occasionally give him a kiss while he experienced tunnel vision.
4th person: The Blondie at the Bottom
About half way through the concert, John pointed out a lady on the ground floor that apparently had drank one too many or make that 4-5 too many! Early 40's, bleach-blond hair, was probably a huge rocker in her twenties, and was sporting some pleather pants. She was passionately singing to her man, arms around his neck, kissing - almost needing a room and then next minute she is facing the stage, arms in the air and just fully rocking out. Her man was so stunned that she decided to choose Metallica over continuing to make out with him.
Well, these are the contestants- who do you think is the winner?
Even though all of these people seem to be the biggest fan of Metallica- I still think my JP is the big winner. John sat down for only a brief moment while the others took consistent breaks. His eyes were content on the stage and he felt the music in his bones while tapping his foot and singing the lyrics. As far as me? Well I will admit that I even enjoyed some of the slower songs and with ear plugs you can actually make out some of the screaming words. It was a fun night but a very late night, we didn't get out of the concert until 11:30pm! Thank goodness I had today off and John decided to ditch work. Nothing like living the rock and role lifestyle- staying up late, sleeping during the day and not getting paid :)
3 comments:
You are one brave woman... I think I would of been people watching too. Your smart to have worn ear plugs!
Okay - I laughed so hard at your discriptions of "who is the biggest fan" I will have to re-read it so I can make a decision with out tears rolling down my cheeks!
You're a cute wife!! What a good surprise.
Post a Comment