Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Single Parent?- Umm, I'll have to pass

I drove John to the airport yesterday (Tuesday) morning for the start of his fishing trip in California. Yeah, your thinking- didn't John just go to Las Vegas, sure did. I guess the boys get to have all the fun! Well, I wouldn't say I was looking forward to the next 3 nights with the kids alone but I wasn't really dreading it either. I figured, I can do this no big whoop. Tuesday work day was busy- very busy as normal right now... I just had to come back to work during the busiest time of the year. I planned on getting off work early so I could pick up the kids when John normally does at 5:30pm. Up the freeway I go and what do I see - dead stop traffic. This normally never happens and I thought well I may not pick them up by 5:30 but at least I had left early enough to get them before the daycare closes. Twenty minutes later and only creaping to the Redwood Rd exit I get a call. Brax has fallen on the lino at daycare and split his chin open. "Ya- I think it is going to need stitches" is what the daycare director, Keri, says on the other line. "Is it bleeding?", I ask. "Not too much", she replies. Twenty minutes away and here I come. I grab Nikki, a spare diaper, bottle and formula (just in case) and head to the hospital. As we get closer Brax breaks down. "I don't want to go to the hospital" big frown, tears and not very happy almost 10 year old Brax says from the back seat. I calmly explain that I'm sure he is a little nervous, anxious or scared about the situation- and he quickly shoots down that he is none of those things.. he just doesn't think he needs stitches and doesn't want to go to the hospital. He thinks that if it doesn't hurt it should be fine. We head into the hospital with two kids in tow (mother of two, I still can't believe it) and check in at the front desk. The receptionist asks Brax what happened and he mumbles the events. We get checked in, wait, get asked questions, wait and then the doc comes in. He thinks he's pretty funny... and I thought he was but Brax was not amused. Dr. Bradly is very theatrical when he asks Brax what occured and then re-enacts it with excessive sound effects. He asks Braxton to walk to the side of the room, do a jumping jack and come sit back down. It was FUNNY- especially considering the irritated mood Brax was in... he just really didn't want to be at the ER. Anyway, after alot of cleaning, a few shots in his chin(which made Braxton's feet curl- ouch!), 2 stitches and $100 co-pay later, Brax and the fam (minus John) were ready to head back home.

Brax is doing great- he actually thinks the stitches are kind of cool. Really, what kid doesn't haven't a scar on their chin. I'm just grateful that it wasn't worse.
P.S. No pictures- John has the camera on his fun filled trip at sea.

3 comments:

Leah and Mike said...

Oh my gosh!! That is so sad!! I hope he is doing better. You can drop the kids off over here if you ever need a break from the single-mother life :)

Signal Fire said...

yes - you are correct everyone needs a scar on their chin. Thanks for going to lunch today - it was great to spend some time with you and yes the boys do get all the fun!

Stapletons said...

I have one of those chin scars too! Brax was more brave than I was I'm sure!